Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools Home-based Education Program
The Board of Education for Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools acknowledges the fact that Catholic parents have the right to accept the responsibility to direct the education of their children and as such support the process of home-based education. Catholic parents who accept this responsibility are expected to provide an educational program that is an accordance with expectations outlined in the Education Act 1995 and the Home-based Education Regulations 2012.
The following resources can be accessed to help establish expectations for home-based education process:
What is Home-based Education?
Home-based Education: An educational programming option that is started at the initiative of and is under the direction of the parent or guardian of the child. The child is receiving instruction at and from the home of the child.
Home-based Educator: A home-based educator is a parent providing and directing a registered home-based education program for his/her child.
Home-based Learner: A home-based learner is a pupil who is receiving instruction in a registered home–based education program.
Parents interested in home-based education from a Catholic, faith-based perspective may register with Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools. Eligible students must be between 5 and 18 years old. Please note that families must reside within Greater Saskatoon Catholic School's electoral boundaries in order to register. Please contact Tressa Kokonas if you are unsure if you reside within GSCS boundaries.
1. Complete the Notification of a Home-based Education Program form and submit it to email@example.com
2. Submit Home-based Education Written Plans between August 15 - September 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Use the Written Plan Exemplar, SK Ministry of Education Policy and Registration Checklist to assist in completing the registration process.
Please note that all registration documents must be received by September 15. A Confirmation of Registration & Welcome Letter will be emailed to families by September 30.
Request for Services and Support
Home-based learners registered with Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools will have access to the following supports:
- Student and teacher resources, such as textbooks (materials available to borrow)
- GCSC Cyber School:
- Grades 5-12: two free GSCS Cyber School Courses per year (Cyber School teacher instruction, assessment and support included).
- Grades 4-12: access to Cyber School Hybrid Courses, intended to be used as a teacher resource (no support from GSCS Cyber School teachers will be provided).
- No support is provided for Distance Education classes taken outside of GSCS Cyber School.
- Driver's Education
- CAT-4 standardized assessment
Please contact Tressa Kokonas to request other services
Secondary Level Credits (Grades 10-12)
What Evidence is Required to Complete a Home-based Education Program?
Each family is required by the Ministry of Education to maintain a portfolio of the year's work and is required to store the record for two years. The portfolio may be shared: electronically, by mail or through a year-end meeting.
Annual Progress Report:
The annual progress report shall include one of the following:
- portfolio of work, or
- test results (Cat-4 Assessment) as outlined in the Home-Based Education Program Regulations 2012.
The portfolio of work for purposes of the annual report is to include the following:
- a periodic log (monthly report); and
- one of the following for each of the broad annual goals:
- a detailed summative record;
- sufficient samples of work; or
- a summative record and samples of work.
For more information, please contact Tressa Kokonas.