April 24, 2023
We offer different levels of French language programming in our schools:
- French Immersion
- Core French
- Learning an additional language increases a student's mental flexibility and creative thinking.
- Students educated in Canada's second language benefit from a wider range of career opportunities.
- French is the language of instruction for a significant part of the school day.
- There are two types of French Immersion elementary programs:
- Type A: All the instruction is in French at the Saskatoon French School, except for English Language Arts.
- Type B: Religion is offered in English, starting in Grade 1 and English Language Arts in Grade 3. Science and Health may be taught in English in Grades 7 and 8.
- In high school, Language Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics and Christian Ethics are offered in French.
- There are many benefits children gain from learning a second language.
- Students are fully immersed in the French language, increasing their awareness and appreciation of other cultures.
- Students are active participants in the Francophone community.
Schools offering French Immersion:
Type A Immersion - Kindergarten to Grade 8
Type B Immersion - Kindergarten to Grade 8
- École Cardinal Leger
- École Holy Mary in Martensville
- École St. Gerard
- École St. Matthew
- École St. Paul
- École Sister O'Brien
- École St. Mother Teresa
- École St. Peter
- École St. Luke (kindergarten - Grade 4; expanding to Grade 5 in 2023-24)
- Father Robinson (kindergarten - Grade 4; expanding to Grade 5 in 2023-24)
Immersion - Grades 9 to 12
- Bethlehem Catholic High School
- Bishop James Mahoney High School
- Holy Cross High School
- St. Joseph High School
- French is a taught subject
- 120 minutes per week in Grades 1 to 5
- 120-200 minutes per week in Grades 6 to 8
- five hours of instruction per week for one semester in Grades 9 to 12
- It helps students understand, use and appreciate the French language and provides them with a solid base on which to build their language skills.
- Students can enter the program in Kindergarten or Grade 1.
- Students learn to use French confidently in real-life situations.
- Students develop an appreciation for Francophone cultures.
Schools offering Core French:
- St. Anne (Grades 1 to 8)
- St. Edward (Grades 1 to 8)
- École St. Luke (Grades 1 to 8)
- St. Philip (Grades 1 - 8)
- École St. Mother Teresa (Grades 6 - 8)
- St. Augustine - Saskatoon (Grades 1 - 8)
- St. Bernard (Grades 1 - 8)