Ukrainian Language Program
8 Reasons to enroll your children in the
Bishop Filevich Ukrainian Bilingual School
Have you ever missed an opportunity and regretted it later?
Many of us were fortunate enough to learn about the Ukrainian language and culture as we grew up. Many more of us have drifted away from our roots as life's many demands pull us in so many directions.
As fellow parents of young families, we would like to share with you some of the reasons we have enrolled our children in the Bishop Filevich Ukrainian Bilingual School.
- Community and Culture – The Saskatoon Ukrainian community is rich and thriving. It is easy to name numerous mayors, MLAs, MPs, and even premiers who were active in the Ukrainian community and excelled in their careers. These role models have been regular visitors to our children's program and have been a great inspiration to them.
- Spirituality – We have found spirituality to be front and centre in this school. The Ukrainian churches of Saskatoon have come together as active participants in our children's education. Our students regularly attend services on Ukrainian Byzantine Holidays. Our clergy also attend school programs to celebrate our student's achievements.
- Academics – A high proportion of our Grade 8 graduation class are honours students. These students have excelled in both the Ukrainian and English curriculums. The Ukrainian subject areas provide an especially rich education in Eastern European history and geography. Our students have received awards in Regional Heritage Fairs, Konkurs, the Only in Saskatchewan contest, just to name a few.
- Family – It is incredibly happy experience to see our children speaking to Baba and Gido in their own language! We have families who speak a lot of Ukrainian in their homes. We also have families who speak little or no Ukrainian themselves. We have found that we as parents are learning our language and culture in a journey together with our children.
- Community Service – Our children are blessed to be living in a time of peace and prosperity. The teachers in this school recognize the importance of giving back to our community. We have for many years maintained a partnership program with St. Joseph's Nursing Home. We also visit other Ukrainian nursing homes each month. Our children have learned to care about and respect our elders.
- Language – We have seen in our children that they have a natural capacity to learn two or more languages at this stage of their lives. The Ukrainian language curriculum has been carefully developed over many years by various, qualified individuals. Our children have had a great deal of fun and have greatly enjoyed the experience.
- Career Opportunities – Many of our students have had the opportunity to visit Ukraine as the economics of Eastern Europe develop, more and more North American companies will be opening offices there. There will be a demand for managers that are bilingual in English and Ukrainian.
- Friendship – Finally, we would like to mention how many of us as parents and students have gained new friends within the Ukrainian community. Our parents are extremely active in volunteer work and service in school organizations. Your children will be attending a school with their friends from church and dance school. We would be happy to have you and your family join our community as well!
We hope we have made you at least a little bit curious about the Bishop Filevich Ukrainian Bilingual School. If you want to know more, please contact our school 659-7230). Free bus service to Bishop Filevich School is available from any part of Saskatoon, Martensville and Warman.