English as an Additional Language
The Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools offer English as an Additional Language (EAL). English Language Learners are a mix of new Canadians (immigrant and refugee) and Canadian-born students who do not speak English in their homes. EAL instruction is available at all language levels, with a focus on listening, speaking, reading and writing. Students have access to computer-based programs as additional support for English Language Learning. Students and families may use the services of our Settlement Support Workers in Schools (SSWIS), who can help with settlement issues and finding newcomer services. This program is offered in partnership with the Saskatoon Open Door Society and Citizenship Immigration Canada.
English as an Additional Language (EAL) program is designed to meet the needs of both new Canadians (immigrants and refugees).
Experienced teachers provide instruction for all age levels with a focus on listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Students are assessed individually in order to determine what instruction or other support is needed.
Registration Centre for Newcomers:
- Call the Registration Centre for New Canadians at (306) 659-7000. They will book an appointment with you to register your children and determine their English language proficiency. The centre is located in at Board Office at 420 22nd Street East, in downtown Saskatoon.
Please bring the following documents to your appointment:
- Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada Documents - Temporary Permit or Confirmation of Permanent Residency Paper / Permanent Record Card
- Health card (If you have one);
- Birth certificate or baptism certificate (if you have one);
- Original transcripts of educational documents (translated versions if available); and
- Medical documentation, if available (for example, immunization records).
The Saskatoon Open Door Society (306-653-4464) provides interpreter support, translation and other assistance.
Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools International Student Program
Global Gathering Place
Government of Saskatchewan - Regional Gateways