St. Maria Goretti was chosen as the patron saint of a new neighbourhood school in 1953. While the school was being built, students traveled to St. Mary's School and other elementary schools. The doors opened in September 1954 with students from Grades 1-8. Eighteen students graduated the first year. St. Maria Goretti School was staffed with four people under the capable leadership of Sister Edeltrude, a Sion Sister.
From the beginning, students, parents and staff celebrated the school's patron saint, St. Maria Goretti. She was a simple farm girl who dramatically defended her faith and personal honour. Students celebrate her life, and learn more about this patron saint of children. This began in 1954 and continues today.
St. Goretti is blessed with detailed archives focusing on student achievements, notable events and the activities of the dynamic Home and School. The first archives were rescued from the fire, which destroyed the school in 1977. Believe it or not - long time secretary, Mrs. Hilaria Bodnarchuk, visited the still smoldering building after the fall fire, and asked firefighters to rescue it. The pages are singed, but readable! All detailed archives are displayed annually in June at our annual St. Maria Goretti Saints Day celebration.
In 52 years there have been many significant events and changes. Significant events include the creation of the province's only Ukrainian-English bilingual programme in 1978; the naming of St. Nicholas Ukrainian-English Bilingual Programme in 2002 and the creation of our school as a community school in 2001. St. Nicholas programme is now housed at Holy Family School . Our current Home & School is exploring a name change to St. Maria Goretti Community School . Since 2001 we are proud of our improved community focus; Pre-Kindergarten; partnerships with groups as varied as Catholic Family Services and the University of Saskatchewan and a continued focus on student learning - all fundamental elements of a community school.
A bouquet of thanks is extended to all supporters of St. Maria Goretti School - especially the two parishes-
St. Mary's and St. George's who have supported us all in our faith journey for more then 50 years.
The Redemptorist and members of Guadeloupe House continue to be involved with students on a monthly basis. Interested in learning more, please visit our web page www.scs.sk.ca/gor or drop by for a tour!