What is Home-based Education?
Home-based Education: An educational programming option that is started at the initiative of and is under the direction of the parent or guardian of the child. The child is receiving instruction at and from the home of the child.
Home-based Educator: A home-based educator is a parent providing and directing a registered home-based education program for his/her child.
Home-based Learner: A home-based learner is a pupil who is receiving instruction in a registered home–based education program.
Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools Home-based Education Program
The Board of Education for Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools acknowledges the fact that Catholic parents have the right to accept the responsibility to direct the education of their children and as such support the process of home-based education. Catholic parents who accept this responsibility are expected to provide an educational program that is an accordance with expectations outlined in the Education Act 1995 and the Home-based Education Regulations 2012.
The following resources can be accessed to help establish expectations for home-based education process:Saskatchewan Home-Based Education: Policy and Procedures ManualSaskatchewan Curriculum Website Education Act Home-Based Education FAQ
2020/21 Registration Information
Parents interested in home-based education from a Catholic, faith-based perspective may register with Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools. Eligible students must be between 5 and 18 years old.
1. Complete the Notification of a Home-based Education Program form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Submit Home-based Education Written Plans between August 15 - September 15 to email@example.com
3. Use the Written Plan Exemplar, SK Ministry of Education Policy and Registration Checklist to assist in completing the registration process
4 Please note that all registration documents must be received by September 15, 2020. A Confirmation of Registration & Welcome Letter will be emailed to families by September 30, 2020.
Services and Supports
Home-based learners registered with Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools will have access to several supports, including:
- student and teacher resources (materials available to borrow)
- GSCS Cyber School:
- Grades 5-12: free access to hybrid options (online course resources by subject and grade level. Cyber School teacher assessment and support not included).
- Grades 5-12: 2 free classes per year from GSCS Cyber School (Cyber School teacher assessment and support included).
- No support for Distance Education classes taken outside of GSCS Cyber School.
What Evidence is Required to Complete a Home-based Education Program?
Each family is required by the Ministry of Education to maintain a portfolio of the year's work and is required to store the record for two years. The portfolio may be shared: electronically, by mail or through a year-end meeting. All borrowed resources must be returned to the Board Office. At this time the Board Designate should be notified as to whether the student is planning to continue or discontinue home-based education.
Annual Progress Report - detailed summative report for each broad goals in the required area of study.
Supporting documentation may include:
1) Work samples/portfolio
2) Test results from a normed standardized achievement test
3) Educational assessment used
4) Periodic logAnnual Progress Report Summative Record Template (Periodic Log and Detailed Summative Record).pdf
For more information, please contact Tressa Kokonas firstname.lastname@example.org