Our Namesake – St. Volodymyr
St. Volodymyr School was named in honour of Prince Volodymyr the Great, who accepted Christianity for his empire of the Rus'Ukraine in 988 and in recognition of Mr. Walter Podiluk, Director of Education 1967 to 1982.
In 1988 Ukrainians throughout the world celebrated the 1000th anniversary (Millennium) of the official introduction of Christianity into their country, Rus' Ukraine. Volodymyr the Great, the Prince of Kiev and ruler of Rus' became a Christian and proclaimed Christianity as an official religion of his vast state in 988. From Kiev, the capital of Rus', Christianity gradually spread throughout the whole country where Ukrainians, White Russians and Russians live today.
The name St. Volodymyr also recognizes the contributions of the former Director of Education, Walter Podiluk. Mr. Podiluk was in the employ of the Saskatoon Catholic School Board from 1955 to 1982. From 1955 to 1963 he served as Principal of St. Mary School. In 1963 he was appointed Assistant Superintendent of Schools. In 1967 he was appointed to the position of Superintendent, a title which later changed to Director of Education. In 1982 Mr. Podiluk resigned to accept a position with the Government of Saskatchewan.