The St. Philip School opened in 1956 and is named after Philip the Apostle (d. 80). Philip loved children and is always listed fifth amoung the apostles in the gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke. He may also have been a disciple of John the Baptist. St. Philip is home to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program and has always had a special place for students with intellectual disabilities. It is a school steeped in traditions. For more than 30 years, St. Philip has had a partnership with the nearby Veterans Village care home for seniors. This is one of the Division's longest-running partnerships. The school motto, known by all students, is: "We are the Hands of Christ." Students and staff alike try to emulate St. Philip in his quest for service to others.