What We Do:
The responsibilities of the Society are different than those of other school parent boards:
- Staffing (determines class size)
- Space Allocation: Science & Computer rooms, Resource Centre (Library)
- Facility: Roof repairs, electrical upgrades,kindergarten room, new modular classrooms.
- Technology: Laptops, SmartBoards.
- Curriculum Materials Purchasing: New math, language, morale, religion texts and materials.
- Curriculum Enrichment: music education, author/artist visits, special events, guided reading.
- Bussing: City‐wide bus service.
- Library materials
- School Community Activities and Events - Pancake Breakfast, Halloween Dance, Play Day, Special Lunch Program…
- And much, much more...
Some recent Society decisions:
- Shorter bus rides.
- Smart Boards for every classroom.
- Laptops for every teacher.
- New computer lab.
- New curriculum materials.
- Fire alarm system upgrading.
- Modular classroom purchase.
- New Resource Center.
- Risers for performances.
Parent participation matters!
What You Can Do:
YOU can participate!
Give a little, give a lot:
‐once a year:
attend the AGM (Annual General Meeting); support the school by contributing your thoughts about issues facing
the school. Elect a parent Board to work with the staff and GSCS to give your children the education you want
them to have. You do not have to be on the Board or a Society member to attend.
join a committee (such as Special Lunch, or Fundraising) or work on an event (like the Halloween Dance, or Teacher
Appreciation); help our school be a community that cares.
‐when you wish:
attend the monthly FSS board meetings. All members are welcome to attend; you do not have to be on the Board
to participate. See what is going on behind the scenes.
‐once a month:
become a Board Director; vote on the issues that affect our children.
‐monthly, and as needed:
run for Board Executive; volunteer a little extra time to keep the board running smoothly.
A little time goes a long way!
Elected Positions on the FSS Board:
• Directors (max 16)
* One vote per member family.
* Memberships are $45 per year/family. Memberships may be purchased at the front office, or with your child’s
* No special skills needed: you only need to be a parent/guardian of a Saskatoon French School student and a
member of the Society.
* Board meetings are normally held every first Monday of the month from 7 to 9pm at the school.
* Minutes of Board meetings can be found on file at the Saskatoon French School library.