Extended Learning (Gifted)
October 29, 2021
- Extended Learning Opportunities (ELO) catalyst teachers work in collaboration with classroom teachers to provide enriched learning opportunities for gifted students in Grades 4 to 8.
- Opportunities include enrichment in the regular classroom, in small groups, or individual support.
- Students are identified as having advanced academic needs and talents through:
- group screening using Insight (cognitive abilities assessment) in Grades 3 and 6; and
- a recommendation process involving the school team.
- Gifted students develop and expand their potential by participating in challenging learning experiences with like-minded peers.
- Enrichment provides opportunities for creative and critical thinking and the development of problem-solving skills.
- Independent learning experiences provide students with an opportunity to focus on areas of particular personal interest.
Tressa Kokonas, Coordinator of Learning Services